The family of slain Rongo University student Sharon Otieno is asking the High Court to consider compensation as her murder case enters its final stage, saying eight years of grief and court appearances have left them emotionally and financially exhausted.
The request is contained in a victim impact statement included in a probation report prepared ahead of sentencing.
The family told probation officers that it had been forced to sell a one-acre piece of land and a cow to help meet costs linked to Sharon’s death, burial and the lengthy court proceedings.
The financial strain has also affected Sharon’s three children, her ageing parents and siblings, according to the report.
The family estimates that it spent about KSh1.2 million on transport, accommodation and meals while travelling to Nairobi for court proceedings over the past seven to eight years. Funeral and burial costs were estimated at a further KSh3.5 million.
The family says the expenses have left it struggling to meet basic needs, including education, healthcare, food and housing.
“The victim family prays for compensation,” the probation report states.
Eight years of grief and court appearances
For Sharon’s family, the case has not simply been a long legal process. It has meant repeatedly confronting the circumstances surrounding her death.
Sharon was abducted in September 2018 while pregnant. Her body, along with that of her unborn child, was later found in a thicket near Kodera Forest in Homa Bay County.
The case finally reached a major turning point on July 23, 2026, when High Court Judge Cecilia Githua convicted former Migori Governor Okoth Obado, his former personal assistant Michael Oyamo and former Migori County clerk Caspal Obiero of murder.
The court subsequently cancelled their bond terms and ordered that they remain in custody as pre-sentence and victim impact reports were prepared.
The upcoming sentencing therefore carries significance beyond determining the punishment for those convicted. For Sharon’s family, it is also an opportunity to put on record the consequences they say have continued long after her death.
Family seeks counselling and protection
The financial burden is only part of the family's concerns.
The report says Sharon’s relatives have experienced prolonged grief, anxiety and psychological trauma. They have asked for psychological and trauma counselling to help them cope with the loss.
Her three children are also identified as secondary victims who have had to grow up without their mother.
The family further raised concerns over its exposure in the media and on social media, saying continued coverage of the case has affected their dignity and caused additional anxiety.
It has also expressed fears for its safety, particularly because people allegedly connected to the case remain at large.
Reconciliation efforts remain limited
The probation report also records attempts to engage the families of the convicted men.
Representatives of Obado’s family reportedly met Sharon’s family on August 10, 2026. During the meeting, the family acknowledged commitments Obado had made to Sharon and indicated that it remained willing to honour them.
According to the report, fulfilling those commitments could help meet some of the needs of Sharon’s children.
A separate engagement involving representatives of the second accused's family did not result in an amicable settlement, while the report says no reconciliation process was initiated by the family of the third accused.
What happens next?
The probation service has urged the court to consider the wider impact of Sharon’s death when determining the sentence.
The report notes that no punishment can restore Sharon's life or erase the suffering experienced by her relatives. It nevertheless recommends considering measures that could help stabilise the family and protect the future of her children.
The sentencing process follows the High Court's July conviction of the three men. The Director of Public Prosecutions has welcomed the verdict and said it expects an appropriate sentence that reflects the seriousness of the crime.
Sharon’s family is expected to make its sentencing submissions when the case comes before the High Court on September 16, 2026.
For the family, the coming hearing is about more than the length of a prison term. It is also about what happens to the children and relatives left behind after a case that has consumed eight years of their lives.
Related Stories
- Nyoro’s NSSF plan: Cut pension contributions, redirect KSh40bn to healthcare
- Obado asks for leniency after Sharon Otieno murder conviction, citing age and health
- Ruto Opens National Health Summit as Kenya Takes Stock of SHA, KEMSA and Primary Healthcare Reforms
Category: News · Related Topic: Social Health Authority (SHA)
About the Author
Maureen Onyango is a journalist passionate about storytelling, life coaching and spiritual lessons. She studied at the Kenya Institute of Management and enjoys telling stories that inform, inspire and empower communities.