Kang’ata demands action after Homa Bay violence, accuses government of enabling political attacks

17, Aug 2026 / 3 min read / By Maureen Onyango

Murang’a Governor Irungu Kang’ata has accused the government of allowing political violence to take root, after chaotic scenes disrupted a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay over the weekend.

Kang’ata, who has recently aligned himself with the Linda Mwananchi movement, said the attacks were not simply a breakdown of order but a serious test of Kenya’s commitment to political freedoms ahead of the 2027 General Election.

In a statement on Monday, he alleged that civilians were being allowed to carry out violence with the protection or inaction of state officials.

“When the State outsources violence to civilians and gives them immunity, it has abandoned the Constitution and declared war on its own people,” Kang’ata said.

Veloura

He invoked Kenya’s history of political struggle, saying the country should not return to an era when violence and intimidation were used to silence political opponents.

Kang’ata demands arrests

The governor called for the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the Homa Bay attacks, as well as officials found to have enabled the violence.

He also demanded the dismantling of what he described as “shadow units and political militias” allegedly being used against citizens.

Kang’ata further called for the release of Linda Mwananchi members he said had been arrested while exercising their right to peaceful assembly.

His remarks followed reports of violence as the opposition-linked movement toured Homa Bay on Sunday.

The convoy encountered road blockades and stones, while tear gas was also reported during parts of the tour. A hotel in Homa Bay was reportedly raided twice by youths allegedly searching for Linda Mwananchi supporters, with property damaged during the incidents.

The National Cohesion and Integration Commission has condemned the violence and warned that growing political intolerance could threaten democratic participation and national cohesion. The commission has begun the process of summoning political actors over the unrest.

Amnesty International Kenya has separately called for independent investigations into reports of attacks on political actors, journalists, destruction of property and disruption of media broadcasts.

‘This is not the Kenya we fought for’

Kang’ata said Kenyans had spent decades fighting for a political system where citizens could express their views without fear.

He pointed to constitutional protections on freedom and security of the person, freedom of assembly and the responsibilities of the National Police Service.

“Power is temporary. The Constitution is permanent,” he said, warning political leaders that the standards established while in office could eventually be applied to them when they leave power.

His comments are particularly notable because Kang’ata was previously a supporter of President William Ruto and a prominent figure within the ruling UDA camp.

He has since joined the Linda Mwananchi movement, which has emerged as one of the platforms through which opposition politicians are mobilising ahead of the 2027 election.

That shift has given his criticism of the government's handling of political gatherings added political weight.

Homa Bay becomes a warning sign for 2027

The violence has sparked a wider debate about how Kenya's political contests are likely to unfold in the run-up to the next election.

Martha Karua has also condemned attacks targeting Linda Mwananchi activities, warning that political competition should not be allowed to become a contest of intimidation.

Former Interior CS Fred Matiang’i has similarly accused the government of tolerating political violence, while stressing that the scale of the incidents raised questions about what security officials knew. His claims have not been independently established.

The government has not been established as the organiser of the Homa Bay violence, and allegations by political opponents remain allegations unless supported by investigations or other evidence.

That makes the response from security agencies particularly important.

For residents, political parties and journalists, the immediate issue is not only who is responsible. It is whether political gatherings can take place safely and whether those behind attacks will be identified and prosecuted.

With the 2027 election campaign already taking shape, Homa Bay may prove to be an early warning of the political tensions Kenya will need to manage.

Related Stories

Category: Politics · Related Topic: 2027 Elections

About the Author

Maureen Onyango is a journalist passionate about storytelling, life coaching and spiritual lessons. She studied at the Kenya Institute of Management and enjoys telling stories that inform, inspire and empower communities.

Tags